Summer Reading

I am a reading fiend lately! And the few I’ve read over the past three or four weeks have all been great! So grab your favorite comfy chair and a mug of tea, this could take a while…you’ve got some reading to do!

I Remember Nothing – And Other Reflections by Nora Ephron
Very funny! This is the woman who wrote “When Harry Met Sally” one of my all-time favorite movies and absolute comfort go-to. Wonderfully smart and clever way of writing about so many of the everyday things that happen in our lives, and some that just happen to her.

Devotion by Dani Shapiro
I just wrote about this one here so I won’t go on except to say…a must read!

About Alice by Calvin Trillin
This one was recommended by my dear Aunt Myra, daughter of Annette (in other words, my Dad’s sister). A sweet gem of a book, easily read in a day or two. Calvin Trillin, a staff writer for the New Yorker since 1963, shares a beautiful collection of anecdotes that paint a portrait of his wife Alice and their marriage. At turns sad and dark as well as funny and light – a great read.

Slow Motion by Dani Shapiro
Yes, Dani Shapiro again. Wow! I am absolutely glued to this book! I’m almost done and it is keeping me up at night the same way mystery novels keep others up but this is a memoir. Dani writes about her journey through her early twenties when she lost her way, dropped out of college, took up with an unsavory wealthy man, and began drinking to try to block out her screaming soul. Absolutely riveting, and particularly if you’re someone who struggled with the decisions of young adulthood and made some bad choices…you may love this book.

Comments:
What are you reading right now? I’d love to hear any recommendations you have!

About these ads
This entry was posted in Books. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Summer Reading

1. So happy to hear that Dani is speaking to you! You know I feel the same way. I’m on a big fiction kick lately, though I did read WILD, a memoir by Cheryl Strayed, which I adored and suspect you might also. xoxo

• Kathryn says:

Oh it’s on the list now, thank you!! Dani’s books are the kind you feel like you’re hanging out with a good friend having a heart to heart. You never want it to end. Xox

2. fulltimeusa says:

Nice. Now I have another list to tackle. Be well, Love, me

3. Paige S. says:

I was in between books, but I’ll have to make one of these my next. All sound interesting. Thanks for posting.

• Kathryn says:

Thanks Paige. They really all are so I hope you’ll let me know which you choose and what you think. If you love it there’s nothing better than finding a kindred reader!

4. Amy Whelan says:

I’m rereading the Chaos Walking Series by Patrick Ness (I’m reading the final book in the trilogy, Monsters of Men). This is an amazing series. For a complete look at my all time favorites, you can click on the link. Miss seeing your posts. Hope all is OK with you! http://youthfulyogini.blogspot.com/2012/10/the-booker-award.html

• Kathryn says:

Oh, thank you so much! You’re very kind. I may be back at some point but I needed a sabbatical. The books sound interesting, I’m going to look them up. I’ve been reading a lot too. Reading “Maine” right now and really enjoying it. Very character driven, which is what I like.

Be well, and happy!