It’s important to give yourself treats. I went through a period in my life where I was pretty unhappy and once I became conscious of this unhappiness and was working to understand and dismantle its hold on me, I noticed that I had been withholding treats from myself. I wasn’t doing it consciously but I was allowing the sad, receding, angry part of me to call the shots. So when I wanted something, yearned for some small little treat, I would, like an overly strict and controlling parent, withhold it from myself.
I am in a happy place in my life now and I am cognizant of feeding and watering that happiness by being kind and gentle with myself. I hope you are doing the same.
What are some of your favorite treats? How do you take care of yourself and safeguard your joy in life? Share and tell me in the comments. After all, happiness is not merely the absence of sadness.
A Few of My Favorite Treats
- Long walks through the neighborhood
- A delicious, cooked at home, bone-in ribeye steak served with sautéed mushrooms, onions, and steamed broccoli
- A cup of coffee by myself in a bustling cafe
- A run in the morning followed by an unhurried shower and dressing
- An afternoon or evening sitting around chatting and sharing stories with family; parents, sister, brother, extended family if we are so lucky to be together…
- Snuggling on the couch with my daughter and husband on a weekend afternoon with books and movies and cozy blankets
- Taking piano lessons
- A cup of hot tea with raw honey
- Riding my bike down on the beach
- A weekend away in Palm Springs with my husband
- Swimming in the ocean or an uncrowded heated pool
- Spending the whole day at the beach with husband and daughter and all the fixing: beach chairs, umbrella, big blanket, books, magazines, beach toys, food, and cold drinks
- Getting into bed early
- Starting the morning slowly
- Making a yummy breakfast at home on the weekend
- Exploring a new city
- Trying a new restaurant
- Getting a beautiful color of polish on my toes
- Dancing in the living room with my little girl
Have a wonderful day!