We have two parties to go to this weekend. One for a graduation and one is a birthday pool party at a nice hotel.
For the pool party on Saturday I’m thinking of wearing something like this:
And this if I decide to get in the pool. And for the Graduation party I’m debating between this:
Which would you choose?
I know summer is only a few weeks away but I couldn’t help ogling J.Crew’s Fall lineup for this year. Which looks are your favorites? I like so many, but 11 and 14 are standouts.
Posted in Fashion
It’s important to give yourself treats. I went through a period in my life where I was pretty unhappy and once I became conscious of this unhappiness and was working to understand and dismantle its hold on me, I noticed that I had been withholding treats from myself. I wasn’t doing it consciously but I was allowing the sad, receding, angry part of me to call the shots. So when I wanted something, yearned for some small little treat, I would, like an overly strict and controlling parent, withhold it from myself.
I am in a happy place in my life now and I am cognizant of feeding and watering that happiness by being kind and gentle with myself. I hope you are doing the same.
What are some of your favorite treats? How do you take care of yourself and safeguard your joy in life? Share and tell me in the comments. After all, happiness is not merely the absence of sadness.
A Few of My Favorite Treats
- Long walks through the neighborhood
- A delicious, cooked at home, bone-in ribeye steak served with sautéed mushrooms, onions, and steamed broccoli
- A cup of coffee by myself in a bustling cafe
- A run in the morning followed by an unhurried shower and dressing
- An afternoon or evening sitting around chatting and sharing stories with family; parents, sister, brother, extended family if we are so lucky to be together…
- Snuggling on the couch with my daughter and husband on a weekend afternoon with books and movies and cozy blankets
- Taking piano lessons
- A cup of hot tea with raw honey
- Riding my bike down on the beach
- A weekend away in Palm Springs with my husband
- Swimming in the ocean or an uncrowded heated pool
- Spending the whole day at the beach with husband and daughter and all the fixing: beach chairs, umbrella, big blanket, books, magazines, beach toys, food, and cold drinks
- Getting into bed early
- Starting the morning slowly
- Making a yummy breakfast at home on the weekend
- Exploring a new city
- Trying a new restaurant
- Getting a beautiful color of polish on my toes
- Dancing in the living room with my little girl
Have a wonderful day!
We’re camping at the beach this weekend. Grandparents, and sandwiches, sand and saltwater, little tanned legs and big cozy sweatshirts.
Hope you’re having a wonderful weekend too!
Making a promise to myself to focus on fun and relaxation this weekend. Not too much online time. But some of course 😉 Aiming for a balance of alone and social, fresh air, sleep, play, laughter, art (always in the cards for me with little miss), and exercise. Wishing you the same.
- Go somewhere dark and lay under the stars
- Feed the ducks at your nearby park
- Ride the Ferris wheel
- Walk to the end of the pier early in the morning and watch the fishermen
- Go swimming
- Go bowling in the middle of the day
- Do a few hours of gardening or yard tending until your sweaty and a bit stiff, then drink an ice cold beer in the front yard on your lounge chair
- Run through the sprinklers
- Lay side by side with a dear one in a couple of lounge chairs by the pool sipping iced tea, laughing and flipping through magazines
- Go for an aimless drive in the evening, then stop and eat somewhere you’ve never been before
- Take a book and a blanket to the park
- Read the newspaper outside at a cafe table in the early morning light
- Go home midday strip your clothes off, draw the shades, turn on the fan and take a nap
- Eat an ice cream cone with a special little person
- Make your own popsicles and eat them on the porch (I recommend sour cherry)
- Drink nothing but very healthy smoothies and pure water for a whole day.
- Throw the frisbee, play tennis, play smash ball, shoot hoops, play beach volleyball
- BBQ salmon and veggies while you sit back and relax.
Here’s how: Make two large foil packets one for the fish and one for the veggies. Season everything with salt, pepper, generous splashes of olive oil and a pat of butter. Seal the packets. Cook over medium high heat for 25 minutes or so. Check for doneness. Eat!
Bon appetit this beautiful last July 2012 weekend!
Now I’m off with the family and friends to the giant sequoias for a weekend of camping!
“If you’re showing up as honestly as you know how to — you’re going to annoy someone. Criticism and counter opinions are part of dynamic expression and creativity. If you’re not generating some resistance, you’re probably not fully stepping out. For every seven people applauding, one person will hiss-boo, one will be indifferent, and one will be less than sane. Show up anyway. In public.
You won’t please everyone.
You won’t please one person all of the time.
Hell, you won’t even please yourself all of the time.”
~ Danielle LaPorte
*Danielle has some great stuff to say. Poke around here.